The Most Dangerous Electrical Hazards and How to Prevent Them
We all know that electricity is dangerous, but usually it’s not something we actually pay much attention to unless you need an electrician in Newcastle. Unfortunately, when talking about electricity going wrong, you could also be talking about fatal consequences. As much as people would like to think that they have tamed electricity, that isn’t entirely true. It is still a dangerous energy and has to be treated with respect. Apart from electric shocks, fire is probably the greatest hazard, but there are ways to avoid the risks that electricity can present. Here at Impact Air & Electrical we have been there, done that and have the T-shirt to prove it. For that reason, we would like to tell you about a few of the most dangerous electrical hazards and how to prevent them.
Old and outdated wiring is one of the hazards very many householders or business people face without realising it. Not everyone lives in a new build with brand new wiring. Many people live in houses that were built many years ago and a lot of these homes still have the original wiring. Most people don’t even know the age of their wiring. Old wiring is a hazard waiting to happen. If your sockets look discoloured or you smell burning, you need to have an inspection. If the wiring or any part of it isn’t up to today’s safety requirements, then rewire.
This is something most of us get wrong just because of thoughtlessness. Every socket or light fixture has a maximum wattage resistance. The appliances or bulbs that we plug in also use a certain amount of wattage. Sometimes what we plug in uses too much wattage for the fixture. Bulbs, appliances, and fixtures come with recommended wattages, so check both before plugging in.
Make sure that none of your sockets are near any kind of tap or water outlet. If they are, then have them moved. Remember, electricity and water don’t mix. It can result in short circuits, shocks, or fires. Be careful when adding or moving electrical appliances, especially in your kitchen, where there are many of them. Don’t use any electrical appliance while standing on a wet floor.
The three hazards above are probably the most common electrical hazards and can be avoided with a little common sense. If you need to consult an electrician in Newcastle about these or have any other queries, Impact Air & Electrical are here to help you. You can contact us through our message page or simply give us a call.